Thursday, February 03, 2005

Hellos and good-byes

Yesterday I said good-bye to one of my dearest friends. As with most people, I'm not all that fond of good-byes. She's moving a long ways away too. All the way to Kansas City. Too far to connect for a cup of coffee. I will miss her. It's been a long time since I've had to say good-bye to someone moving away. I think the last time it was me leaving.

But, today I get to go to the airport to pick up another dear friend of mine who is back from a long journey. Yay! I love picking people up from the airport. I love the anticipation during the drive. Hoping you're getting there on time so that they don't have to wait for you. I love parking my car and rushing in to look on the screen as to where to meet them. Heading down to right gate and staring up at the top of the escalator. Waiting. Smiling. Wanting to be the first to glimpse their coat, their hair, their stagger. Frantic waving while they meander down the stairs. Watching daughters greet their fathers. Lovers embracing. Sons helping their aged mothers. So much contentment on the bottom of those steps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home