Thursday, January 27, 2005

Thursday Nights

For the past 4 years I have been hosting a get-together at my house on Thursday nights. The purpose of this get-together is to watch Survivor. But, it is so much more than that. Initially it started out with two of my best girlfriends and I getting together. It has ebbed and flowed and now we have up to 11 people crammed into our not very large living room.

And I love it.

It starts long before the evening. At some point in the days proceeding it I will make a decision about what we are having for dinner. This is one of my favorite parts as I love to cook. J-L often makes a suggestion to simplify things or ways of getting people to bring their own supper. He will learn. It gets tricky at times because I try to please fussy eaters and it's hard to know how much to cook when the numbers can change from week to week.

But still I love it.

Once dinner is decided I need to do the requisite grocery shopping and prep work. Some days due to lack of time this has to start on Wednesday night. The few hours of time before guests begin arriving are filled with cutting, frying, boiling, cleaning and a multitude of scents. Thankfully, I now have a husband that very willingly helps out and hosts the event with me.

It's nearing 7 pm and the anticipation begins. When will the annoying door buzzer sound? Who will be the first to arrive? Who will not come and be missed? Will I get the food done in time? Get the plates out! Get the ice into a bowl! Darn it, I forgot to put a coke in the fridge. "J-L, can you cut up the bread?" "Hey, Eric! Come on in, make yourself at home, dinner will be ready shortly." And I rush, and I scurry but thus far I've been able to get food out and be in my chair shortly after 7.

And we settle in for an evening of comfort.

Comfortable chairs.
Comfort food.
Comfortable conversation.


It has become so much more than Survivor. In fact, we're often doing it even when Survivor isn't on. It has become a community.

And I love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home