Monday, June 06, 2005

Soapbox

Please, allow my feet to be firmly planted on my crate wherein I will drone on and on about something you probably care little about and wonder why exactly ccap is getting so bent out of shape. This is what I do: feel strongly about things and feel the need to share my eye-rolling opinions with other people. It's a curse.

Today's topic: People who work too hard or obsess too much about how they want to give their kids more than they had. Now, before I begin let me assure you that I'm well aware that I don't have kids and perhaps my opinion will completely change once I DO have kids. If that happens please feel free to come on here at any time and draw this post to my attention. I'll deserve it and will eat my share of the humble pie as needed.

If I could give my kids HALF of what my parents gave me I'd think I was doing a bang-up job.

We did not have a lot of money growing up. We didn't get the latest, coolest toy or a car when we were 16 or bought cookies. I didn't get a regular allowance nor did we get treats every time Mom went to the grocery store. I have a very vivid memory of the first time I got to eat an ice cream sandwich and the first time I stayed in a hotel. We NEVER (and I don't mean rarely, I honestly mean never) ate out at restaurants for meals. We might get to eat at Macdonalds once a year if we were lucky. My clothes were for the most part hand-me-downs or homemade.

But here's what I DID get:
I got to ride horses pretty much since I could walk.
I learned how to cook a meal and bake a cake before I was 12.
I went to church every Sunday.
I planted garden with my mom for as long as I can remember.
I learned to appreciate that things cost money and to feel grateful for the things received.
I got to have waterfights with my mom.
I learned how to think for myself from my father.
I learned a love of books and of knowledge.
I learned that if I'm bored I'm the only one that can change that.


We sat together for supper. We prayed together before supper. We worked together in the house and in the field and in the barn. My parents were the bosses and we would be disciplined when it was needed.

Have we gotten completely confused in what is of value? I recognize that I will take my kids to Macdonalds and I'm fooling myself if I think otherwise. I recognize that they are likely going to have more toys and they will most definitely go to more movies. I'm quite sure they'll spend more time than necessary in front of the tv. I know that there will be times when I will buy them stuff they don't need because I think it's cute or I just feel like it. I know all that and I know there are many other things I will learn once I'm a parent. I just hope I don't ever scoff at what my parents gave me or try too hard to give my kids more 'cause more is not necessarily what's best.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather Plett said...

Amen, sistah!

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the best blog entries I've read! Our parents really were the best, weren't they? :-)

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home