Thursday, January 05, 2006

Thursday Thirteen

This is only my second time doing this so I can’t say I’m a regular participant yet. But, just recently I realized that I’d learned some things about Abby and I need to record them before I forget. For the first few weeks I felt there was little I could tell anyone about my baby. When others said "I think she’s hungry" or "does she like this or that?" I had no idea. I felt a bit bummed. Perhaps I wasn’t clueing in enough. Perhaps I didn’t have some of the natural maternal instincts. But now I feel as though there are some things I may know that no-one else does. And this thrills me.

13 Things About Abby (some recent discoveries, some I’ve known all along)

1. She doesn’t always want the soother. At times she can practically shoot it across the room in disgust. But, when she wants it she’ll suck on it for dear life.

2. She likes to bathe with her mom. While in the tub she tries to sneak drinks of bath water. Not sure what that’s all about.

3. She turned 2 months old yesterday. Sigh. I’m trying to hold on to this time with all of my might but it’s STILL flying by too quickly.

4. She loves to smile. And every one of those smiles makes my skin tingle and my head ache with happiness.

5. She loves to be held.

6. But… sometimes she really doesn’t want to be held. She just wants to be put down in her bed to rest.

7. She’s currently fast asleep on my chest. When this is going on it’s hard for me to concentrate on anything else so I’ll be impressed if I can actually complete this list.

8. She is still sleeping through the night. I was in a bookstore 2 days ago and I noticed at least half a dozen books about the issue of sleeping and young children. Wow. We are so lucky. I know it’s nothing we’ve done and that it might change again one day (like when she’s teething) but for now I am counting my blessings.

9. When she’s cranky the traditional cradle hold is not her favorite.

10. She much prefers the shoulder hold.

11. Or facing out.

12. She’s never really enjoyed being swaddled.

13. I love her tiny feet, her dark head of hair, her smile, her fingers, her growing Buddha belly… But I would have to say my very favourite are her eyes. They’re deep brown. They are bright and when she smiles they shine. As a child I always wanted dark brown eyes. Instead I got a wishy-washy hazel colour. No real distinguishable colour at all. But my daughter has and that makes me happy.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and your daughter is an exceptionally pretty, contented baby.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Raehan said...

Those are gret things to know about her. Keep writing them down. It's hard to believe, but you really do forget the details.

She's beautiful nd sounds smart.

And I love hazel eyes.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I bet you could come up with another 13 things about it if you wanted to, hmm?

Isn't that little Buddha belly just the best thing? Sydney had such a big one we started calling her Siddhartha!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Joyska said...

i love reading about such a beautiful baby!

Did you get my presents? hehe

2:40 PM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

I would wholeheartedly agree with #13 - some of the nicest eyes I've ever seen.

And raehan, she IS smart - I don't know many babies who figure out how to smile as early as she did. And no, it wasn't gas.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

She is one precious child. And I agree with Raehan. Hazel are beautiful. Kristen's got hazel eyes too.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home