Thursday, February 02, 2006

Perhaps she will be an only child.

Okay, I GET it. My second child will be a horror!

Seriously, what is with people's need to be negative? When I was pregnant people used to tell me that I should enjoy sleep because once the baby came along I wouldn't get any sleep whatsoever. In fact, I would be a walking zombie for the first few months. Know what? Abby slept through the night at about a month old. But, apparently people (no, not everyone but lots) don't just want to be happy for me/us. NOOOO. Now I get "just you wait" until your second one. Yeesh! Why can't I just enjoy this? Why does there always have to be something sucky waiting for me around the corner? If it's not my second one than it's the terrible twos or the preteen attitude. I'm not saying there WON'T be negative stuff ahead but if every next step is so horrid why do people even HAVE kids?

And since I'm firmly planted on my attitude soapbox I may as well add this:

Same thing goes for marriage a lot of times. When I was a newlywed and blissfully happy all the time people would often comment that it was due to being in the honeymoon stage. The "just you wait"ers came out in full force. Well, apparently J-L and I are having an extended honeymoon. 'Cause you know what? We're still delightfully happy and I don't think it's due to being naïve or newlyweds 'cause we've faced some tough challenges too (death of a parent, prenatal depression).

So, what is it all about exactly? Do we just not want others to be happy? Do we just want to bring others down if we're down in the dumps about our lives? Any ideas/theories or am I the only one that hears the "just you wait"s?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since Sydney is quite a handful already, then we don't ever hear the "just you wait" chorus. We got it when we were married, but now I can really stick it those people because after 8 1/2 years we're still waiting.

I don't know why people insist on pouring out their cynical advice and tales of woe.

I'll be happy for you. And I bet your next child will be just as perfect as Abby :)

7:31 PM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Yeah, well, I had Nikki, who I thought was the easiest baby in the world - until I had Julie. So you just never know. ('Course, Maddie balanced it off a bit, but she still wasn't the "horror" people warned me about.)

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to all the above. I tell people we'll go on a second honeymoon when we're done with the first one...
I totally agree with you about enjoying the stage you're at. I sure hope I haven't been one of the negative ones. Sometimes people are just making conversation or they like the feeling of one-up-manship it gives them to have had a tougher time than you. You've been through some rough waters so just enjoy the smooth sailing. That's what I say.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

my second baby was just as good as my first!

i hate the "just you waits"

12:49 PM  
Blogger Nichole said...

I just learned (via a journey through your archives) that Abby and I share the same birthday! No wonder she's so well-tempered and lovely :)

3:03 PM  
Blogger Jodi @ blog-o-licious said...

People just want to sound all superior - that's why they say things like that.

My advice that I give to pregnant women or new moms? Enjoy every moment - it goes by too fast.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home