Friday, March 24, 2006

Food

This afternoon as I was doing up the dishes from last night’s dinner "party" I started thinking about food (yes, that’s right, I do that sometimes. Come on, admit it, you do too.) and I realized I am completely caught in the middle of being an intense food snob and being incredibly lowbrow in my cooking and eating habits.

On one hand, watching the food network gives me great pleasure. I enjoy seeing new and interesting cooking ideas and adding to my repertoire of recipes. On the other hand, I completely tire of the attitude in a lot of the shows. Really, fresh figs, hand-picked and flown in from Australia this morning? Or, seriously, Emeril, red wine poached guava with goat cheese cake? You’re sooo just trying to show off!

On one hand, I LOVE to try out new recipes and thoroughly enjoy tracking down interesting ingredients. I prefer fresh herbs over dried and authentic ethnic recipes over Northamericanized ones. On the other hand, I don’t nearly always want to cook and can be just as happy having baked beans or a hot dog for supper.

On one hand, trying out new out-of-the-way, non-run-of-the-mill restaurants and not being afraid of menus gives me great joy. On the other hand, I can happily find something not only to eat but enjoy in a mall food court or your average fast-food restaurant.

Basically, what I think I’ve accomplished is a lonely, deserted middle-ground. Too snobby to suit a lot of people and too uncultured to suit others. Sucks to be me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, thank goodness there is more than one of us

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home