Thursday, April 13, 2006

Thanks for not fitting into my stereotypical view.

1) Thank you, teenage boy with the long, unkempt hair and the straggly pants. Thank you for holding the door open for me and my daughter. Your mother would be proud. I was especially impressed as your friends walked in first, ignoring me and my full hands and yet you waited - even took a step back to indicate your kindness. I am smiling still.

2) Thank you elderly gentleman with the grey hair, suspenders and languid pace. Thank you for letting me glimpse into your grocery basket. Thank you for the surprise at seeing you contemplating the cake decorating section. You were probably buying the ingredients for your wife or daughter's use but in my imagination you are taking it home to decorate a special cake for your wife of 50 years and that makes me smile with delight.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chivalry isn't dead, it is merely anemic. There are a few of us who still believe in it, and practice it.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can I say "that's so sweet" without sounding archaic and patronizing. I agree with your imagination!

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home