Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen Thoughts About Moving

1. Wandering around my apartment, thinking about packing it up can be quite exhausting these days. There's just so much to pack. So much to clean. So much to organize.
2. Thankfully, this might be the last time I move for awhile.
3. In this last 20 years I have moved 11 times.
4. That averages out to moving about every two years.
5. I think I’m about ready for a "last time".
6. I will miss the occasional change though. The not knowing where I'm going to live next. The pseudo-vagabond lifestyle.
7. But the list of things I won't miss is quite long. I won't miss the unusual cooking smells from other apartments.
8. I won't miss the grocery carts residing in the parking lot.
9. I won't miss the tremendously disgusting BFI (garbage, in case they don't use that everywhere) bin just outside our door. (Total aside: I grew up on a farm. Yes, I have had to clean up chicken, cow and pig um… waste. Not the most fun job in the world. And yet, I would do that a thousand times over rather than clean up human waste. Shudder.)
10. I won't miss the drunken cries coming from the courtyard directed at some scorned lover. (We have a particularly annoying memory of a certain “Ray” who wouldn't let his woman into the @#$*(&@ apartment. That was a long night. A very long night. She went from screaming his name repeatedly to honking the car for about 10 minutes at a time. Over and over again. All. Night. Long.)
11. I won't miss the mysterious stains that appear on the hallway carpet every now and again. Seriously? What is up with that? What's being spilled out there? There's one right outside our door. RIGHT outside our door. What are you DOING right outside our door?
12. I won't miss walking from floor to floor searching for an available washer or dryer.
13. I won't miss the dash. I could write a whole post about the dash. I could weep (with happiness) over the loss of the dash. You know the one I'm talking about. The one that occurs between two numbers on a street address to signify that you are an apartment dweller. In just over a month I am done with the dash. And that makes me glad.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing I miss the LEAST about apartment living is being within earshot of other people's tragedies.

2:18 PM  
Blogger mmichele said...

wow. that was a walk down the long hallway of memory lane. i chose one apartment simply because it was the closest one to the exit door.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home