Thursday, June 28, 2007

Encyclopedia

You know the ball story? Well, I have one too.

When I was young I used to read encyclopedias for pleasure. We had a 1969 (am I right on the year, bbd?) set of World Book encyclopedias. And I loved them. It was my goal to read every letter of the alphabet from cover to cover. I know I never made it all the way through but I can still vividly remember laying on my mother's brown couch learning things about art and Winston Churchill and Helen Keller and dogs and, and, and.

About (I'm going to guess) 6 years ago I tracked down a beautiful set of World Book Encyclopedias at an MCC store in Brandon. $15. And I bought them. Proud as punch I packed them in the back of my mother's car (we were in Brandon Christmas shopping) and off we drove. The problem was, at that time I might very well have been living in the world's tiniest apartment (Not only was there not a dining room, there wasn't even enough room in the kitchen for a table.) and I realized that I had no idea where I would put my encyclopedias. And so, that Christmas I happily (albeit a little bit sadly too) passed them on to my brother as being an encyclopedia lover himself I KNEW he would use them.

And now, interestingly enough, I married a man who ALSO read encyclopedias for fun. And in less than 50 days we will have more space than we had ever imagined.

I would suspect within the next year there will be a shiny (used) set of encyclopedias residing in our living room.

exhale.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I always enjoyed reading the encyclopedia as well :)
Try here.... http://winnipeg.craigslist.org/bks/352357370.html

6:44 PM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

I'm not bbd, but since those encyclopedia currently reside in my basement, I just checked. 1970. Just after you were born.

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home