Thursday, May 31, 2007

Thursday Thirteen

We’re done now. Yay. 43 homes viewed in total. Did we have fun along the way? Absolutely. Being able to be a voyeur in someone's home WITH permission is rather enjoyable. And, with that in mind, here are 13 highlights (or lowlights?) from those 43 houses.

1. Rug in the bathrooms. Both of them. What were you thinking? What is living/growing under there now?
2. The Magic Bullet. Yes, Corrie & Pam, I saw one, happily sitting in someone's kitchen. And when I did, I smirked. And I wondered if they marveled at making quesadillas in 3 seconds.
3. A framed photo of Barbra Streisand quietly sitting on the end table in a living room. I'll give you a concert photo framed in your rec room. Heck, I'll even give you a large movie poster type photo in your hallway. But, a 4x6 photo in your living room? Interesting.
4. Incense. This one home had several sticks of incense burning in their basement. Maybe you're NOT trying to hide something but burning incense certainly makes it look like you are.
5. Stairs to the toilet. Within the bathroom itself, stairs leading up to the toilet. Heh?
6. Buddhas in every room of the house. Seriously, I felt like I should kneel or bow.
7. The deck coming off a bedroom. I’m sorry if that’s your only design option. Unfortunate. 'Cause I gotta say, I'd rather not carry food or lead guests through some messy teenager's bedroom.
8. Mustard yellow rug. When was this EVER a good decorating choice?
9. No dining room and only enough room for a 4 person table in the kitchen. Seriously, do these people never have guests?
10. Mint green rug covering the entire main floor (except for the kitchen). When you were putting that in you didn't for a MOMENT consider that one day you might want to sell your house, did you?
11. Wallpaper in Every Single Room – even the kitchen and bathroom. Oh my. (see #10)
12. A black master bedroom. Walls and ceiling. Oh yeah, with a large gold foil frame glued directly on the wall. Again, I'll give you a black kid’s bedroom. I'll even give you a wall or two in black. But, all 4 walls AND the ceiling AND black curtains. What?
13. Saving the best for last: A large rubber shark mounted to the wall of the living room. Apparently, a replica of one the owner had caught. I'm not talking a huge room. I'm talking a rather small living room. Did you catch that? LIVING room. Not the basement, not the rec room, not the spare room. The FORMAL living room. And it was big. Probably 5’x2’x2’. And rubber. Wow.

4 Comments:

Blogger pamero said...

What?? You guys didn't take the shark one? I don't know if I'm ever gonna come over NOW.
....can't wait! :)

12:23 AM  
Blogger corrie said...

I can't believe you didn't tell me about the magic bullet sooner. Did you ask if you could just quickly whip up a smoothie? Or some brocolli "soup"?

And now I know what to get you guys as a housewarming gift... here's a hint - it's 5x2x2 in rubber.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know the housing market's really hot, when realtors let houses look like that for an open house.

When we sold our condo, the market was so hot, we didn't even have to paint it, even though I had different colors of paint in the kitchen (I was testing out colors). And it sold in less than a week.

It's different here now. Much slower.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you about the rug in the bathroom thing. Completely. In a few days we won't be living in a rug-infested dwelling! Yay! And very soon you'll be living in your very own answer-to-prayer dream house!! So happy for you.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home