Monday, May 14, 2007

Public Service Announcement

Advice to home sellers and real estate agents:

1. HS: Mow your lawn before an open house. It’s amazing how unappealing that is to a perspective buyer.
2. HS: Don’t have dirty underwear in the closet for the buyers to view. I’m sorry if you didn’t have time to do your laundry before the open house. Hide it away somewhere.
3. REA: Don’t drive a huge SUV or a sporty Mercedes convertible. I know you’re doing well and you want your toys but maybe have a second average looking vehicle to park at the open houses. I just don’t know that I want to give you my money if you’re that rich already.
4. REA: If someone has booked a viewing with you please show up on time or have the courtesy to call if you’re going to be late.
5. REA: Don’t be too desperate and practically attack us when we walk in the door.
6. REA: Alternatively, don’t spend your entire time on the cell phone when we’re viewing the house.
7. REA: Sometimes, you might just have to fake that you love the house you’re trying to sell. It’s okay to point out some of the negative aspects but also try your hardest to find some of the positive as well.
8. REA: If you are calling me or emailing me please try to get my name. (Over the span of 2 days I dealt with one agent who misspelled my name 3 different times on emails and mispronounced it on the voice message. It’s not that tricky a name.)
9. HS: If you have 1970s wallpaper adorning your walls, take it off. I know it’s a hassle and a lot of work but it can turn off a home buyer in an instant.
10. HS: If your home smells of curry or dog pee or smoke try to do something about it. Something. Anything. Get some helpful advice online, I’m sure there are things you can do. (Incidentally, the three smelliest homes we saw are still up for sale even though others around them are selling in mere days.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surely these people could do with some of the home sale prepping shows on HGTV. Take this house and sell it comes to mind.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you, thank you for the creative update!

3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home