Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Whimper

I may as well admit it, I'm feeling a little sorry for myself today. I know, I know, you're thinking "oh, and that's NEW?"

I like Thanksgiving. No, scratch that, I LOVE Thanksgiving.

I love the food. All of it. The chicken, the stuffing, the corn, the bubbat (a family/cultural tradition), Mom's bean salad, the pumpkin pie... Possibly my favorite meal of the year.

I love the last few days of warmth.

I love the day off from work.

I love the time spent with family.

I love the slow wandering through fallen leaves.

Last year's especially was completely dreamy. It was fabulously warm out all weekend. Sunday involved a picnic in the park with my favourite sister and her family followed by a drive out to my brother's place out in the country. Other than the family farm (which now belongs to someone else) this is the ideal place to spend Thanksgiving. We ate supper out on their new verandah. All that glorious food AND the outdoors? What more could you ask for? I feel lazy, blessed and warm just remembering it.

The next day only added to the blessing. I got to plant hundreds of flower bulbs with my brother in his new flower garden. One of my favouritest (yes, it's a word for now) things to do is to plant flower bulbs and my favouritest person to do it with is my brother, Dwight. Hands down. No-one really comes close.

Wrap that up with a wiener roast with my entire family present and I can't think of a more contented weekend.
So, why am I feeling sorry for myself today? I just realized that 58.8% of my family is currently many hundreds of miles away. There will be no repeat of last year. Sob.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joyska said...

it is truly amazing the changes one year can bring! I am celebrating this year with fellow displaced Canadians at my house... just like i celebrated american thanksgiving for displaced americans in Canada! Haha... I am just a sucker for displaced citizens! heehee

Miss ya!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

You've got a great family. I'd miss them too if I were you.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I published a comment here the other day, but just today I realized I hadn't done the security thing, so that's why it isn't here. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I know it was something about planting tulip bulbs with you and what a happy memory that was for me too, and something about missing you guys this Thanksgiving too, and something about hardly being able to wait til next Thanksgiving when maybe we can do it all over again, but then you'll have an almost one-year-old! Right now I'm looking forward to Christmas when we finally get to meet him/her!
I love you and we're counting down with you...

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home