Thursday, December 08, 2005

Two of many.

Earlier this week I joined my husband on the road for an overnight road trip. From my point of view we had a lovely time. Mostly it was just the three of us driving and hanging out together. For a traveler such as myself it was LOVELY to see a new part of the world after being cooped up for nearly a month. To be on the road again. And thankfully, thus far, our daughter is a JOY to travel with. I hope that continues. It occurred to me though, while we were on the road, how different my daughter's childhood will be from mine. Two things from this trip alone:

1) She has been in another province.
2) She has stayed in a hotel room.

I can't remember when I accomplished both of those items (sorry Dwight, I don't have your memory for that sort of thing) but it was CERTAINLY not at one month of age. I'm happy to give her these experiences. I just hope she develops a love for it in the future and doesn't just take it for granted. I have a small fear that the reason all 4 of us Plett children love to travel so much is that we never got to as kids. Can our children love it quite as much as we do since most of them have seen more before the age of 10 than their parents did before the age of 20?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From my point of view I had a great time too. Being able to go on the road with my girls was fantastic. Here's to more trips together as a family.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Yeah, but not EVERY family that never travels as kids churns out addicted travellers - just look at the family we married into :-) Though, I've gotta admit, we seem to have had at least SOME influence.

If I remember correctly, the first time we stayed in a hotel was that visit to Winnipeg with some of Mom's family. I think I was in junior high.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

First time in a hotel for me: 16 years old.
First time to a restaurant to celebrate: My parent's 20th anniversary. I was probably 17 or 18 at the time. Yeah my kids too have done much more than me at a much younger age.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No wonder you get along with Linda so well, sounds like you had a similar childhood...
Heather's right. It was that time at the Holiday Inn downtown with Uncle Walter and Auntie Kathy's family. The way I remember it Brad was at SBC at the time and he came home to do chores so we could go. I would say it was winter of '78/79. If I try I think I could narrow it down further. I would guess it was probably late Feb early March 'cause the cows were starting to calve...
Those were the days...

4:33 PM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Some of us were born with the ORGANIZATION gene, others were born with the MEMORY gene. WHY oh WHY didn't I get EITHER?

8:12 AM  
Blogger ccap said...

'Kay Mr. Memory Man, I left the province for the first time when Jeffrey died. What year was that?

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now there's a challenge I can't resist. Toewses moved to Swift Current in the summer of '78. Jeffrey died less than a year later, I would say maybe that fall or the next spring/summer. If I could just have a short chat with Dad I'm sure I could narrow it down a bit more...

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home