Friday, February 02, 2007

Snobbery will get you nowhere

I am a tea snob. In my mind there is no reason to drink tea unless the water has boiled. I often ask in restaurants now because I just don't enjoy the taste of tea if it's only made with hot water.

At my new place of employment they only have this:









I miss my afternoon tea-time. (At my last place of work around 2 or 3 in the afternoon someone would put on a pot of tea and shout around the office that it was on for those of us who drank tea.)

And so, a few weeks ago I bought myself an electric kettle. Yes, I'm a little embarrassed to have it here. And yes, some people have rolled their eyes about it. "We HAVE a hot water dispenser". Whatever. This afternoon I went to use it. Finally. Washed it out, filled it with water, plugged it in by my desk, sat back to wait for my steaming goodness... and promptly blew a power cord.

So now not only are they rolling their eyes at me, they're snickering too.

No tea for me!

6 Comments:

Blogger mmichele said...

I completely understand. The other day, when Rob was making tea, he asked if I wanted a cup. I said, "sure, as long as you boil the water completely," as he sometimes stops short of a full rolling boil.

Well, he did boil the water completely, let it sit for a moment or two while he assembled the tea bags, etc., and then poured the water on when it was very hot, not boiling.

Sigh.

When I remarked that it wasn't boiling when he poured it over the bag, (I thought he had misunderstood me when I requested the boiling water) both Joey and Rob thought I was a little bit too fussy about it all. (You are mom, says Micah.)

But why drink it if it has that wierd, not quite boiling water flavour? Vive le kettle, keep trying.

3:06 PM  
Blogger mmichele said...

wow. that was longer than i expected.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like an episode of The Office!

I love tea, too. Tea time in Germany (we had a German/Irish friend/roomate, thus tea) meant lovely kuchen, too.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so with you and the boiling water thing. But you know that already. Should I brag and tell you that we have boiling water at all times at school? No, I won't do that - that would be downright mean!

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh. I hate when that happens.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I TOTALLY understand. Like Michele, I like boiling water poured on my tea bag. When I worked at Winnipeg Harvest, I brought my own kettle too. Thankfully, I didn't blow a power cord though. Hope you have success. You can't be working at a place without having some of the comforts of home.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home