Thursday, January 18, 2007

Thursday Thirteen

1. On the way home from the theatre (ooh, I sound so cultured saying that) last night I let 6 people in front of me. 6 different cars. And not ONE of them waved me a courteous "thank-you" wave. Is it too much to ask? A quick little wave of thanks?

2. We are already at the stage where we "have" to spell things out in front of Abby. There are so many things she understands already and so many things that if she can't have them immediately she'll be bummed. At this point I'm rather pleased with the ones we have to spell out: walk (as in, do you want to go for one?), nap, cookie and bath. As I've said several times before: That's my girl.

3. Serious question here ('cause I honestly can't remember). What did we do before things like "lol" and :-)? How did we convey in correspondence that the reader was to find the previous sentence funny? Did we just assume (gasp!) that they might catch on all on their own?

4. Jesus Christ Superstar: What fun. Incidentally, Ted Neeley has been playing the part of Jesus longer than Jesus did. [Insert appropriate emoticon here.]

5. My coworker is leaving on 2 weeks holidays starting this Saturday. (Yes, my Jim of a previous entry.) We're very busy with 2 of us here. I don't know HOW things will work with only one of us and that one being me - the new girl. I vacillate from thinking everything will be okay and I'll just do what I can do to panicking in an extreme manner.

6. The weather seems to have turned around finally. It's amazing how warm -14 C can feel coming out of a stretch of -30 C.

7. Still no luck on the shoes. Sigh. We're now at the point of scratching some of our ideals off the list.

8. Speaking of the shoes: I cracked a funny one the other day without even trying. (Frankly, this is quite something for me. I'm not really all that funny - trying or not.) A little background: Abby's nickname is Little Joe. And the "Little" has been replaceable with other adjectives. When she was a baby she was Pukey Joe. She has been on occasion Farty Joe. And so on. Can you see where this is headed? J-L and I were talking on the phone the other day. He asked about the shoes and if I'd had any luck finding any yet. My reply: "Nope [sigh]. Apparently she's just going to be Shoeless Joe."

9. I'm an unnaturally cold person. (Hopefully only physically.) During the winter I am quietly pleased with my space heater at work kicking in every now and then, warming my feet.

10. Crap. Now I'm at 10 which is really so very close to 13 so I have to keep going which will be tricky since I have zero ideas of random stuff left.

11. I am currently enjoying a bag of peanut M&M's. (THEY put the apostrophe there. I never would have. It's plural, not possessive.) I think it may actually be years since I've eaten these. Why did I wait so long? They are truly delicious. I love the way the candy shell cracks as I suck on it, presenting the lovely milk chocolate underneath.

12. The Scrubs musical is on tonight. I may be looking forward to it a little too much. It's surely not going to live up to my expectations.

13. My husband has apparently rubbed off on me. He has this slightly ocd habit of looking at the insurance stickers on car license plates and announcing if they need to renew their insurance soon or if their birthday is close to his or the likes. Yeah, guess who was doing that on the drive home today?

9 Comments:

Blogger mmichele said...

13. I do that too. It drives me crazy. I also can never figure out how people manage to put the sticker on the wrong side of the licence plate. And I ALWAYS notice when they are expired.

If you can quit, quit now. It will only get worse.

10:32 PM  
Blogger pamero said...

Well I think the wait to watch "Guy Love" on TV was worth it.

12:00 AM  
Blogger corrie said...

#4 - and not only has he been doing it for 35 years, he's still doing it well! I was impressed! (to say the least)

9:27 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

MMMM good. Peanut M&M's. I wonder, can you eat them on a cleanse?

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm suddenly remembering a glass M&M's jar (on a glass coffee table) that provided a lot of entertainment - especially when Steve was around.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

1. How annoying to not get a wave. Not too much to ask. Should be given.

2. We do that too! Although now we finally just started saying "nap" because she figured out what it meant when we spelled it (I think because even spelling it aloud sort-of sounds like the actual word).

3. Scrubs! The Poo song (a bit gross but still funny) and Guy Love. So funny.

And yay for space heaters. What would we do without them?

11:50 AM  
Blogger Whippersnapper said...

There are a bunch of tie up shoes at the Sally Ann on Empress being sold for a song. How big are her feet? I could pick 'em up for you no problem. (I'm there almost every second day.)

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're starting to spell too -- especially "outside" and "bath". "Nap" is not such problem as he isn't as enthusiastic (sigh!). Very impressive signing!!!! We're working on a few basics but so far the only sign he has picked up is "all done" when he abruptly decides he's done eating and wants to get down from his highchair. Please and thank you seem a long way away.

Oh, and I know probably half of the songs to Jesus Christ superstar!

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to be nit-picky, but the reason M&M's is written with an apostrophe is because M&M's stands for the last names of the two men who created the candy. Hence, it is possessive in nature.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home