Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Sound of Music

We did not have a television growing up. This was not always easy. There were a lot of times kids at school would talk about shows and I would ache to know what they were talking about. But, it certainly made the times we DID get to watch television that much more special. One of those times stands out very clearly in my mind. The Sound of Music. It was on every year (still is) close to Christmas. And my mom liked it. And so we would pack up and drive to our neighbour's house to watch it. These are such pleasant memories. Gathered in their living room with a family we loved dearly to listen to Julie Andrews sing and to watch The Hills Come Alive.

Yesterday morning at 11:40 am the patriarch of that family died in a car accident. Yet another connection with my youth and my father severed.

Goodbye, Mr. Bateman. I will miss you. But, I will think of you every time I see Captain von Trapp standing quietly on stage strumming the first few chords of Edelweiss.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

Oh! I am sorry for your loss.

Wonderful memories of your childhood.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Raehan said...

Well, your Dad will have some company now.

Sorry for your loss.

My memory of my Dad and the Sound of Music is him trying to fix the picture while we were watching it on tv and then having the screen go totally blank.

We loved that movie!

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post, Cynthia.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you lost this friend, although you can still savor the musical memories.

I agree with my sis -- we loved the Sound of Music! I still sing many of the songs for Jeremy.

And also, we don't have a TV now. When we were growing up we had an old TV but were very restricted in how much we could watch. I remember being proud of my parents for that.

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so sad. My condolences.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Just D said...

It's always like a double loss when that kind of connection (to your dad) is severed. I'm sorry - but you can keep Mr.B alive in your memories when you watch that movie -blessings to you dear...

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crying...

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home