Thursday, December 14, 2006

New job

On NBC there is a show called The Office (for those of you who watch it regularly you may want to skip this explanation paragraph). And, yes, the title of the show really says it all. It has the stereotypical office personas: the rule follower, the odd boss who thinks too highly of himself, the kissup... and Jim and Pam. They are easily the favorites as they are The Normal Ones. Jim and Pam have a great relationship. (Yes, there is also sexual tension involved but we won't go into that now.) They just get it. They get each other's jokes. They get how odd their coworkers are. Their bond is completely undeniable and wonderful. They play pranks on each other and tease each other constantly but deep down they have the tightest bond that can happen in a work setting. Honestly? A tighter relationship than what a lot of people have outside of a workplace as well.

Years ago I worked at Company #1. I worked with K. And we were tight. We got each other's jokes and we could understand precisely what the other was thinking with a mere look. But, one day she left me. We still kept in touch and to this day she is one of my best friends. But, we didn't work together anymore.

Fast forward to Company #2. Now I work with A. And like K, we just GET each other. And we ate together and we gossiped together and we got frustrated with our coworkers together. And it was A that first drew the comparison to Jim and Pam. She was my Jim. But she left me too. And I was left to sit in meetings and smirk to myself about oddities as there was no-one there who quite understood me.

And now, I am at Company #3. And within mere days I noticed vile office politics and crazy dynamics and unusual people who don't order you a pair of scissors right away because she thinks she can get them cheaper elsewhere.* (Which left me to wonder, is she getting a bonus on money she doesn't spend?) But, know what? I work with K again. And it's just all so okay. I have my Jim back.

* Please note, that was a whiney sentence but seriously, I really do like what I am doing there, it's just some of the people...

7 Comments:

Blogger Heather Plett said...

You're lucky. As much as I like my job, I wouldn't say I have a Jim. (Well, technically, my boss' name is Jim, but you know what I mean.)

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you've got your Jim. Hope this is a great place for you and your talents.

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for K.

I love the Office. Jim is hot, you know.

Hope you get those scissors.

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes!

1:15 AM  
Blogger Just D said...

It's good to have a Jim!

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the new job, glad you have a friend there!

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheap scissors?

Wow, that person REALLY cares about the company huh?

How bizarre.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home