Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

I had no intentions of doing a Mother's Day post today (or yesterday). These days I'm not very introspective and I feel my life is pretty much down to the basics: Get up, get dressed, go to work, come home, make supper, put my daughter to bed... and try not to have a meltdown during any of it. Mother's Day couldn't feel LESS significant to me. It was just another day of too much busyness for an overly tired, overly emotional me.

But then this happened and I thought I should record it:

The day is wrapping up and Abby and I are spending a few final moments outdoors before she has to head to bed. Two things Abby loves these days more than life itself: Being away from home and being outside. This day she got PLENTY of that.

Mom: Abby, wasn't today a great day? Didn't you have fun?
Abby: No.
Mom: Really? You got to see ALL of your cousins except for A and B, how could it not have been a great day? What would have made it a better day?
Abby: Hanging with my mom.

Oh honey. Oh my darling, darling girl. Thank you. I'll be back. I promise. The Mommy you've seen over the last little while isn't your Real Mommy. I'm so sorry. But she'll be back, just in time for summer.

3 Comments:

Blogger darien said...

ah, how wonderful....I think I'm going to like hanging with her!

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Made me cry.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Cakes said...

I totally get this post. The whole thing. I can't wait to be myself again, too. Of course it will help once I'm back on my meds! LOL!

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home