Sunday, March 14, 2010

Abby

It has occurred to me lately that Abby will be (no, cross that, already IS) a better mom than I am.

Exhibit #1:
A few months ago: We're on our way to do our weekly grocery shopping. Abby has asked to bring along a purse. Usually I say "no" as I'm afraid she'll lose it or forget it somewhere and Tragic Tears will ensue. But this time I let her. During our grocery shopping trip Jack throws one of his lovely (ahem) whinefests/temper tantrums. J-L and I look frantically at each other hoping the other has brought something to soothe him. Nada. Abby calmly reaches into her purse. "Here Jacky" and pulls out a wee stuffed toy that instantly calms the boy.

Exhibit #2:
About a week ago: Abby is on her way to swimming class with her dad.
Abby: Jack, come here for a second!
J-L: Come on, Abby! We have to go!
Abby: Mom, could you check Jack? I think he's had a poop.

Exhibit #3:
Just today: We're about to leave for lunch after church. Abby has about 5 pretzels in her hand (from the after-church snack table). She looks up at me: "In case Jack gets cranky at the restaurant before the food gets there."

I've been feeling like I need a break anyway, I think I'll just let her take over.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Stephanie said...

I'd say she's one smart cookie (and an excellent big sister!). It's always nice to have an extra "mom" around to help make up for our shortcomings :)

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Heather Plett said...

Haha! Maybe she could come over and parent my kids now and then too. Does she know how to handle teen attitude?

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like Nikki was with Brodie.

9:11 PM  
Blogger darien said...

Abby's just picked up from the good example you showed her. I've seen it in action!

10:58 PM  
Blogger corrie said...

Sounds like a child prodigy! How do you think she is at doing taxes?

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home