Friday, January 07, 2005

A List! (cut and paste from an email to Corrie)

20 Things that Came into Cynthia's Head or that She Heard About or Read About While Creating This Email for Corrie
How's that for a long-winded title!?


1. I got A & M's wedding invitation this week. She did them herself and for the most part they're quite pretty (not what I would have chosen but still pretty) but J-L noticed the typing isn't straight on it and now that's probably ALL I'm going to see. Argh.

2. I bought a new calendar. I took your advice and didn't buy one that would make me long for trips I couldn't take. Okay, that's actually a lie. It wasn't really that I was taking your advice, it was rather that McNally had a very limited supply of types I liked so I bought a coffee one.

3. It's Marcel's turn to made supper tonight and he's making crepes. Yum! Plett family dinner. But, since Mom is in Calgary and J-L is in Banff it's basically me just going over to H&M's to mooch dinner off them. ;-)

4. I had a dream that J-L was involved in a war or street fight of some sort. I don't usually have nightmares but this one was a doozy. Your dad and Dennis were also involved. J-L got shot. Badly. It was HORRID. Everyone came home one by one (there were more than just the three of them) but him. I was frantic. And then he walked in the door. I wonder if I'll ever be able to forget the look on his face or the sound that came out of my mouth. I made some kind of guttural, primordial sound. That's probably what woke me up. It made it that much worse that I couldn't reach over and hug him.

5. In the realm of stupid/annoying Americans and their lawsuits: A viewer is suing NBC for $2.5 million, contending that he threw up because he saw a Fear Factor episode in which contestants ate rats mixed in a blender. Austin Aitken said he watches Fear Factor often and had no problem with past installments where the reality show's participants ate worms and insects in pursuit of a $50,000 prize -- but eating rats went ''too far.'' Aitken's handwritten lawsuit contends the rat-eating made his blood pressure rise, resulting in dizziness and vomiting. Because he was disoriented he ran into a doorway, ''causing suffering, injury and great pain.'' Asked why he didn't shut off his television, Aitken said he couldn't do it quickly enough.

6. It's quite crazy/stupid how much I miss J-L these days that he's been gone. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it. Here I am Ms. Proud of Her Stubborn Independence missing my boy. I used to (almost) feel the Simon & Garfunkle I am a Rock song was my theme song. I know, I know, twisted but there you go. I kept it secret because I knew others would just shake their heads and think "Cynthia just doesn't GET it. That song is a negative/sad view of some people, NOT something to strive for." And now what do I cling to? Some schmaltzy love song about missing someone? Holy Mother of All Things Completely Horrifying and Utterly Disturbing.

7. Next to you, my brother Dwight is the person I relate to the most in my love of song lyrics. So, as I'm sure you can imagine, I was quite pleased when he loved Bethlehem Town as much as I did; asking for the lyrics and an MP3 version of the song emailed to him. Ahh.

8. Speaking of songs, this is on my cd player right now: Today I dream of home and not of London anymore. I thought as someone traveling that you could relate to that for brief moments. Not that you want to leave (I would never suggest that to a wanderaholic) but that there might be brief moments when you would like to be sitting comfortably in familiarity.

9. I don't think I'm going to get any work done due to this list. :-)

10. Today is one of those roses and daffodils days. You know what I mean? Most days I'm cynical and slightly pessimistic but today it's like the whole world has a shine on it. I know (still a tiny bit pessimistic) that it's only a matter of time before something happens to tick me off but for now I'm trying to cling to the giddiness.

11. A coworker of mine is at the hospital with her 15 year-old son today. Why? He got into a fist fight and hurt one of his hands. This is also a boy who is failing most of his classes at school. Gosh, my heart goes out to B. She really is a good mom and works hard at being so.

12. January is Gennaio in Italian.

13. I am working on a group right now and needed to look at the employee listing for the group. The first name: King, James. I recognize that it's last name first and therefore not that interesting but seeing that written on my computer screen made me chuckle. Okay, maybe not audibly chuckle but smile at least.

14. Last night I downloaded the Jack Johnson video for Taylor. That's the one that Ben Stiller is in. So, if you ever want to see it again, I have it on our computer.

15. It's less cold out there today. It's funny 'cause I nearly said "warmer" but it seems an odd word selection when it's -13 degrees out but when the temperature went down to -36.6 yesterday this nearly feels balmy. Maybe this is part of the reason for #10.

16. Along the lines of Stuff You Really Didn't Need or Want to Know: I have a zit just below my nose that is driving me towards insanity in tiny increments today. It's nearing the point of all I can think about.

17. It's 3:13 pm and I can't say I'm too sorry to see C. head home. It will make this last hour and 15 minutes that much better.

18. I'm trying to decide whether I'm spontaneous or not. I've always considered myself to be fairly spontaneous but upon further investigation I wonder if I am. Let me explain myself further: If someone were to call me right now and ask me if I wanted to go to a late show tonight I would say "yes" without hesitation. And yet, when someone comes up with a new idea regarding work or church I tend to need time to think about it. I never just jump in without giving it a great deal of consideration. All the angles. All the pros, all the cons. Now, are those two things incongruous? I'm not sure. 35 and still haven't figured myself out completely. ;-)

19. Some writing I thought that you (as a lover of words) might enjoy. He has just spent awhile talking about an older couple he saw in Starbucks who are just new to finding each other. And he writes this:

Me? I was lost in the wonder.

Provisional or providential I know not. What I DO know is that I had been witness to something exceptional. Something fine and good and healing.

I wanted to rush home as quickly as possible and gather my lady into my arms and try one more time to achieve what has so frustratingly escaped us in spite of our sincere efforts to reel it in.
I want to sit at Starbucks with her some day and have some young buck eavesdrop on our conversation and be, perhaps, encouraged to go and do the same.


I want to be with her. And I will. I will.


20. And on that note, it's nearing time to go home and 20 seems like a nice number to end on. I hope you didn't have to pay too much for the internet cafe you're currently in 'cause if you did, I owe you for the time wasted reading this foolishness. I love you and I miss you and I hope you are having a wonderful time.

ccap

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home