Monday, February 21, 2005

Random thoughts from a busy weekend

As I'm feeling too lazy and uninspired to write well I'll just jot down point-form.

Friday
Took my three nieces (and my mom) to see Because of Winn-Dixie. A sweet movie. Although, my 2 year-old niece found it scary. Why? Well, the dog ran away. Yes, it came back before the end of the movie but she could really only focus on the fact that he ran away. Apparently not the first time she has found a dog running away in a movie scary. Cute.

Saturday
The Wedding.

What a full, full, tiring day. It's not every day I get to be bridesmaid, photographer and janitor at one event.

- I got my hair done in the morning. Got it done by someone new. I figured if I hated it I would just do it myself. It was considerably higher than what I was comfortable with but I think I managed to tame it down a bit. We'll see when we get the pictures back.

- The bride looked very pretty. Not a dress I would ever have chosen but she glowed.

- H & T (daughter of bride, son of groom) both went up on stage during the wedding more than once. Proved to be a bit of a distraction but c'est la vie. H was especially distracting and although I don't think it really matters much I could tell that it bugged A. I was surprised that neither of her grandparents did a freaking thing about it.

- I'm not thrilled about the photography time but that's partly because I felt a bit rushed and the maid of honor whined about a few of the positions I put her in and A also didn't have a lot of patience for artistic shots. Bummed me out. But, I still got my normal wedding photography high so that was good.

- The reception was done more like a social. Much to our (attendants) surprise, the caterers dropped the food off in the kitchen and left. So, we ended up putting the buns out on the tables and setting up the food on the buffet. People bussed their own plates etc. Not a big deal but I wish I had known beforehand. I said that to J-L: As much as we had people that had to help us at our wedding they knew it ahead of time and it seems to me that makes a bit of a difference.

- And, again, as it was set up like a social we as the attendants had to stick around to do clean-up. By 10:30 I was ready to call it a night (I'm old, it had been a long day) but we had to stay until the bitter end (1:00) and here's where my anger starts flooding back. M & A had 4 attendants each. E did a whack of clean up (wine bottles, beer glasses) before she left around 11. (And may I note that she left because she had her 4 year-old daughter with her.) S and C left by 10 pm. Now, can you tell me why the bridesmaids would recognize that perhaps we should stay and help clean when 2 of the groomsmen left that early? Thing that amazes me even more is that C is also M's brother. Shouldn't he feel double responsibility? Familial responsibility AND attendant responsibility?! Okay, so by midnight (when we decided to start cleaning to get a bit of a head start) there are 3 bridesmaids left and 2 groomsmen. The bridesmaids start cleaning off tables, stacking chairs and putting away tables. One groomsman (who happens to be M's dad) also helped with this process. The other groomsman was completely loaded and continued to dance the night away. WTF!? I don't think I have ever in my life wanted so badly to walk out on a dance floor and punch someone. I was stunned! HOW can you do that? How can you watch while women in fancy black dresses and high heeled shoes take down tables and stack chairs? Typing about it makes me angry all over again. I told J-L that (not that he as a decent guy needs the warning) if I EVER saw my son or my husband letting women in high heeled shoes (and a 60-something year-old man) do work like that while they did nothing they would get a beating when they got home.

- Speaking of J-L he was my hero Saturday night. What a man. What an amazing human being. He did more work than 3 of the groomsman put together EASILY.

Sunday
Made it to the last necessary movie prior to The Oscars next Sunday. (For the past 7-8 years I have made it a rule to see the 5 best picture nominations prior to the Oscar night.) The last one: The Aviator. Now the countdown begins for the party. Yay!

In the evening was supper at the in-laws.

A full weekend where I was basically only home to sleep. Perhaps that might explain my laziness today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home