Friday, December 09, 2005

Guesses

For the most part
I think this stage
Is the easiest
I don’t have to think of what to feed her for dinner
I don’t have to entertain her
I don’t have to deal with attitude
Or peer pressure
But then come those times
When she won’t stop crying
Shrieking
Wailing
And I don’t know what to do
Is she hungry?
Is she tired?
Is she wet?
Does she need to be on her back?
Does she need to be burped?
Does she need to be cuddled?
All just guesses
And I find myself
On the rocking chair
Patting
Rocking
Praying
Singing
"They that Wait Upon the Lord"
Over and over
And she stops
And she falls asleep
And I feel like a superhero
And completely humbled
All at the same time
And in the end
It’s all just guesses

6 Comments:

Blogger Heather Plett said...

Yup. Even when they get older and can TELL you what they want, it's still just guesswork!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Joyska said...

looks like you are a pretty good guesser there Cynthia! Thanks for sharing your perspectives! I'm praying lots for and your family!!

I talked to Christine yesterday too... you knew she adopted a couple kids eh? Families growing everywhere!

Miss ya and I'm working on that blanket!

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This brings back memories I'd almost forgotten. For me it was pacing the floor and singing James Taylor songs 'til Caleb finally dozed off. As soon as I tried to sit down or relax he was at it again...
People used to tell us - enjoy it while you can...

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guesses and prayers ...

11:11 AM  
Blogger Raehan said...

And you'll probably never know.

When it's not a diaper, hunger or wanting to be held, it probably has someting to do with the disgestive track....or growing pains.

I still haven't figured it out. Hannah cried for about an hour or more every night for a bit. I'm glad that's over.

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing I've learned about all the guesswork is to be a little bit calmer than I used to be. I remember desperately trying to figure out what was wrong, and then eventually decided that sometimes maybe everybody -- even babies -- just need a good cry.

At least, that's what I hope!

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home