Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Randomness abounds

- We got someone to sublet our apartment for September 1. Yay! They've been approved through the rental agency. All's good.
- We spent the weekend at a friend's cottage. Had a lovely time. However, I am entirely sick of dog hair by now. With 3 dogs invading every part of that house (2 of them being long-haired) there was dog hair on EVERYTHING. I'm just not crazy about seeing my babe put a stuffed toy in her mouth that's covered in hair.
- Anyone seen Little Children? Well, I had a few moments of feeling like Sarah Pierce during this weekend. You know the scene where all the other moms have snacks and she doesn't? Yeah, that one. Thing was, I HAD snacks but for some unknown reason this lady felt it necessary to offer my daughter snacks every time she turned around. “She's giving me doe eyes. I thought she was hungry.” Honey, have you SEEN my daughter's eyes? They're big and deep brown. They're doe eyes 100% of the time. (I can't even begin to tell you how close I was to telling her, in my snottiest voice available that we don't give Abby X or Y (the snacks she had to offer) as they aren't nutritionally sound. Of course, all of that would have fallen flat when she saw the hot dog we chose as her lunch.) Oh yeah, and she was also the mom who cringed and nearly jumped out of her chair to stop her when she saw my daughter eating a cookie with some sand on it. Anyone know how to stop a 21 month-old from ingesting sand at the beach please tell me your secret. Oh yeah, AND she felt it necessary to correct me when I was disciplining my daughter. I'd try to stop her from stealing their toys (we had our own along – call me foolish for not wanting Abby to think everything in reaching distance is hers) and she'd call Abby over basically to console her regarding her horrid mother. AND twice she had to rescue our windblown chairs or beach ball (when we were over at the slide) and felt it necessary to point that out to us when we got back. Oh, thought I was done for a second there but another one just occurred to me when I brought up the slide: There was a wasp's nest close to the slide. Her daughters were DEFINITELY not allowed to go to the slide. Again, the slide is one of Abby's Favorite Things Ever but apparently I’m a bad mom because I took my chance with the wasps to make my daughter happy. Slap of the wrist for me! I'm sure you can imagine how broken up I was when they packed it in.
- We get possession of our house next week. NEXT WEEK! My heart starts to palpitate just writing that down. So many things to get done that haven’t been taken care of yet. I'm basically in a constant state of feeling behind. (house insurance, final payment, packing, cleaning…)
- Speaking of things to get done: I need to go get some photos framed. If there's one thing I don’t want in the new house it's bare walls. There may be no furniture in the rooms but by golly there will be photos on the walls. Frankly, I'm one of those people who puts photos up even before things are all unpacked. I need it, to help me feel like it’s my home. Although, I'll be a little more nervous now. I'm so used to apartment living where I can just put holes in the walls and think “what do I care? It’s not mine.” if there are too many holes. I know, I'm not saying it's the RIGHT attitude but it is the one I've had. Now I WILL care because it’s my place and any holes will affect me.
- I just bought something online and am having it delivered to our new house. Yipes! Felt good typing that address in.
- I need to try to get my eating under control again. I've been completely out of control with it all summer. I can tell in my clothes.
- It feels like August. Sad to say but true. The evenings have cooled down a lot these last few days. It always amazes me how quickly things can turn. One day hot all day and all evening. The next, warm during the day with dew forming before morning.
- I wonder if Abby's personality is such that she loves to go places or if we've forced her to become like that because we go places all the time? Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
- We added roofing to the mortgage. We need new shingles within the next couple of years so we figured we may as well do it now and add it to the mortgage. Found out today that we have to get it done within the next 3 months or that money is no longer available and goes to the principle. Shoot. Guess we'd better pursue finding a roofer ASAP.

4 Comments:

Blogger mmichele said...

that mother...

i'm assuming she was a friend of the friend? and not the actual friend?

that's what i'm assuming.

i can tell you'd like it if i would interfere more around abby, and perhaps stick up for her once and a while. you seem to make a lot of bad decisions. i mean, sand on a cookie? how many kids have survived that?

you need to be more careful.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Whippersnapper said...

YOU LET YOUR CHILD EAT SAND???????

**feeling so superior**

Ha ha, as if.

My moving day was August 15th too. Make it a great day: Order pizza!!

Looking forward to pictures of your new home!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I think that sand aids in the digestion for little almost 2 year olds. At least that's what I told myself when I had 2 year olds.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps a useful suggestion that one should be careful what is said/written about another, as no one is perfect, and you never know who might be checking out the site - involved party or otherwise. Interesting message conveyed. Point taken.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home