Thursday, August 09, 2007

Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen Moments
You know the ones where you catch yourself holding your breath because it’s just that good? The ones that you hope you can cling to for the rest of your life? The ones whose memories are tangible and intimate? The ones that have little to do with money or excitement but much more to do with quietness or relationships? Yeah, those ones. I’m sure I’ve mentioned some of these on here before but I’m in the mood to reminisce so here we go…

1. Sitting on a beach with my friend in Hawaii watching fireworks over the water.
2. Walking down the sidewalk with my husband, our daughter between us, holding hands in the summertime.
3. Driving through the mountains with my brother and sister-in-law (pre-kids) looking at the snow-covered pine trees with John Denver’s Whispering Jesse on the stereo.
4. Laying on a square bale with my brother looking up at the most spectacular northern lights taking over the entire sky.
5. Sitting on the couch with my mom, sharing an apple, watching a movie.
6. At a social, many moons ago, hearing someone tell me that they’d been watching me all night and finally worked up the guts to come and ask me to dance.
7. In an airport, on my way home from a trip to Europe with my friends, lack of sleep, laughing until we were crying over some man with homemade shoes (with rubber, sponge and duct tape no less) getting on the plane while *I* had been searched 3 times on the trip.
8. Sitting in a cubbyhole with my sister, giggling and hiding from my mom as she got home from work.
9. Waking to my niece propped up on her elbows, beside me in bed, smiling at me.
10. Walking by Central Park with my husband, watching the fireworks, feeling my baby kick inside me.
11. Eating gloriously large cherries, fresh from the backyard, in Romania.
12. Seeing my father’s smirk as I walk in the door, my visit a complete surprise. (Incidentally, he told me he would have swept the floor had he known I was coming. Which, for those of you who know him, is shocking and bizarre.)
13. Sitting outdoors in a park having a picnic with my boy and babe before scurrying off to the slide.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love it

1 - me, too
at one point, i quietly mention, "it doesn't have to happen - i'm ok if it doesn't, but this is the kind of moment i'd really like to some day share with a boyfriend soul mate"
a few quiet moments later you say, "i've been thinking this trip. you're going to settle down. you're going to find that man you're looking for and you'll be married before i am." or something like that. you can correct me. all i know is i heard confidence in your voice and i used your words-with-confidence to encourage me.

turns out you were right (i did meet korey) and almost right (happened almost as soon for me as it did for you, but not quite)

3:22 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

Great list.

#10 and #11 are my favorites.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home