Friday, October 12, 2007

Over consumption/Materialism

You know, it's very easy for me to walk through Toys R Us and shake my head. "Tsk, tsk. Crazy parents who are just buying more and more stuff for their kids. More brightly coloured plastic toys that they don't need. Shame on them. Don't they realize there are so many countries where people don’t have enough to eat? They should be embarrassed. MY child has educational toys and books and very few unnecessary cluttering toys."

It's easy for me to go to Superstore with my canvas bags and quietly judge those who are filling up plastic bag after plastic bag. "Tsk, tsk. Do they not know how much extra waste that is? Do they not care about the environment? That plastic bag will still exist long after they're dead. Shame on them!"

So very easy and comfortable. Ah, sitting here in my pompousness.

I think I shall just leave it there. Look at me! I don’t over consume! I care about the environment! My recycling bin is fuller than my garbage bag! Woohoo!

But don't, please don’t ask me about how many serving dishes I have. Don't ask me how much my heart flutters when I go on cooking gadget websites and see some new cookware or bakeware (a covered pumpkin pie dish! a two-tiered server!) that I would so love to own.

And please don't remember the fact that last night I poured excess sweetened condensed milk down the drain because I didn't need it at that moment.

And don't open my closet.

Or go down into my basement.

Or see how many things I have shipped off to Value Village in the past year.

Please?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim O said...

are you trying to tell me there are skeletons in your closet, Cynthia?

10:33 PM  
Blogger Whippersnapper said...

Wow, this is so weird, I was just thinking of posting something similar to this myself.

By the way, has anyone ever told you how great your blog is? I really love it, it's so sharp and interesting.

AND I want your kitchen.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Indeed, how is it possible that I have given away more to Goodwill this year than some people will own in a lifetime? And I actually *try* not to overconsume. Meh.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home