Tuesday, June 05, 2012

scent

One of my favorite things is how closely connected to memory the sense of smell is. I can be out for a walk on a late summer afternoon and I will be instantly transported to a particular street in Alba Iulia, Romania. I can't even name the smell but there I am. Or, on a cool early morning I can be outside and smell something that takes me back to summer camp at Jubilee.

This morning it was my new coffee mug. I (finally, after spilling on my desk twice last week) bought one of those spillproof mugs from Costco. I opened it to add some new coffee to it and the combination of metal and hot coffee took me back to helping my father pack his lunch for the auction mart and that silver thermos with the broken handle.

I think I like my new mug.

2 Comments:

Blogger corrie said...

I love little memories like that.

It makes the past feel so present, doesn't it?

4:30 PM  
Blogger pamero said...

Can you imagine NOT having smell as a sense. So very sad.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home