Monday, June 13, 2005

And there you were

It's been a few days but the images stay with me still.

I'd been to an ultrasound before but didn't really see much so I didn't have much in the way of expectations. Maybe it's different when it's your own though, I don't know. I was stunned and tickled all at the same time. We could see your hands, your feet, your legs, your arms, your head, your eye sockets, your chin, your ribcage, your spine...

And everything became so very real to me. There you were - inside of ME. MY baby. I'm not the most emotional person around (as you'll find out one day) but those images got me. I felt so personally connected with you. My life is forever changed. I'm going to be somebody's mommy. YOUR mommy. What a sense of joy and responsibility that brings me.

Your fist was clenched. The technician tried to persuade you to open it. He prodded and poked. You would move your arm but you refused to open your hand. I smiled. Two thoughts came to mind: (1) You're the boss right now. For perhaps the only time in your life no-one can tell you what to do. Enjoy it! (2) You're MY child. You come by your stubbornness honestly.

Thanks for being so clear to me. I needed that.

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that fully well." Psalm 139:13&14

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was an amazing event for me too sweetie. Our baby is inside you. That is so cool.

I do hope that Peanut will not be quite as stubborn as his Mommy though; one of you is plenty for me. ;-)

12:50 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

What a beautiful post. It brought tears to my eyes.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Looking forward to meeting my niece/nephew! And hey, a little stubbornness is not a bad thing!

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing to see such a life within you? What a wonderful post!

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home