Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Moments in Time

I feel as though my life has been a bit of a whirlwind the last couple of weeks and I'm just not sure what to blog about. And so (as is common on this particular blog) I will just jot down random stuff from the past nearly 2 weeks of non-blogging:

The trip
Lovely, thanks for asking. Lots and lots of driving and there were moments when my back wished we'd stop but for the most part even the driving was enjoyable.


Once we got home my boy asked me what my favorite thing from the trip was. I don't find it easy to just pick one item but there was one moment in time that stands out a bit above the others: A simple moment, a quiet one. We'd been driving (with my brother, s-i-l and their kids) for the morning and most of the early afternoon. Marvelous, breath-taking views of the mountains and waterfalls and blue skies. Time to stop for lunch. Found a roadside park and pulled over. And there we ate our lunch. There amongst the evergreens, the warm sun, the soft grass and the kind breeze. Ham sandwiches, apples and cookies for dessert. Doesn't get any better than that - surrounded by beautiful creation and people I love. What more could you want?

We did something new on this trip. We took out the back 2 seats of the van, filled up our air mattress and slept back there. Hard to believe but the sleeps were actually very pleasant. I think we'll do it again sometime before Peanut comes along.

Got to meet an old friend while in Calgary. We hadn't seen each other in over 9 years but within moments of connecting I realized why it was we were friends. A reminder of an honest relationship that gave me joy once and hopefully will continue to stay even through years and distance.

The wedding
This wasn't a wedding I was looking forward to in particular. It was taking me away from something I loved so there wasn't the same joy. But then I got there, got the camera in my hands and everything else slid away. Gosh do I enjoy taking wedding photographs. I feel as though I'm the luckiest person alive as I do it. I get to flit about and dream and be creative - all at someone else's expense. I know my boy wishes I would put on my capitalist hat (as if I own one) for a moment and actually charge people more than just my expenses but I just haven't been very successful at that yet. But there are moments when I just wish I could do this for a living. Or at least part-time. Sadly, this was the last wedding I have booked. Anyone know of any others I can barge in on?


Folk Fest
Ahh, Folk Fest. One of the highlights of my year. Last year we had to cut our honeymoon short due to Folk Fest and THAT should give you a bit of an idea of how I feel about it. Unfortunately, I'm feeling too tired to wax whimsically about it at the moment.


Main reason I even wrote this rather dull post in the first place is that in 6 short days we're heading off to NYC so I thought I should quickly blog about life now before I leave and only want to blog about life then.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your brother and I have been having lunch like that on holidays for more than 20 years ...glad you liked it!

8:21 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

sigh
i felt relaxed
just reading about the
lunch outdoors
:)
thanks

11:37 AM  
Blogger Joyska said...

glad you had a great trip! would love to connect with you sometime...take care

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home