Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The wedding.

I've been meaning to post this since Saturday but a few things have stood in my way (father-in-law in hospital, saying good-bye to my mom (again), chasing after a nonstop 9 month-old). Problem is, what seemed clear and concise 4 days ago doesn't seem quite that way now. I'm left with three main thoughts.

1. Speeches. Oh my. I really hope people didn't feel this way at our wedding. Goodness. Based on these speeches you'd think this was Mother Teresa marrying St. Francis. Seriously, I understand you say nice things about people at their wedding but let's not get carried away. I'm sure they're decent people but they're not perfect. And while I'm at it, something has been nagging on my brain ever since the wedding. It's this saying (it came up twice during the speeches): "Don't marry someone you can live with, marry someone you can't live without". Are your eyes rolling? A little? Yeah, that's kinda how I felt all evening. Thing is, I love J-L very much. I'd rather not live without him. But can I? YES. I. CAN. And that's all I'm going to say about that or someone might pull out a soapbox for me.

2. Photography. I've been rather quiet about this in the past but enough's enough. Digital cameras are a lot of fun. They have made it possible for people to take scads of photos and then just delete them afterwards when they don't need/want them. I get that. I enjoy mine too for that reason. But do you really need 452 photos of your niece's wedding? Okay, maybe your niece's but your coworker's wedding or your next door neighbour's son's wedding? I DON'T THINK SO. Fact is, you probably don't need more than 1! So, now that we've got that settled: PLEASE, (I'm begging you) sit down and stop getting in the way of the wedding photographer!

3. I may have made a new friend at the wedding. At dinner I sat beside someone who may well become My New Friend. Tee hee. Our opinions were similar. Our stories are similar. We're both first-time-moms-at-36. I could go on and on. In fact, at one point, J-L looked at us and claimed that it was eerie how much we had in common. And so, at the end of the night, before we went home, I asked her for her phone number and email address. This is a big deal for me. I'm usually too shy to do something like that. I can't decide which I felt more like: A guy trying to pick up a girl in a bar or an elementary student asking at recess: "Will you be my friend?" Now here's hoping I actually get the nerve to call/email her. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home