Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday Thirteen

I like musicals, I may as well admit it. That is not to say that I like ALL musicals because there are some of the more popular ones (Cats, Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon) that hold no interest for me. But, honestly? I think there are considerably more that I like than that I don’t like. Yes, I do realize that many are cheesy and are filled to the hilt with things I wouldn’t normally accept from stories OR lyrics. But, if you ever see me in the audience of a musical I’ll be the spellbound one with a stupid grin on my face.

Thirteen Songs from Musicals that I Love

1. Ya Got Trouble from The Music Man (Trouble with a capital "T" ~ And that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool!) (Always makes me think of my brother.)


2. If I Were a Rich Man from Fiddler on the Roof (Ah, Tevye, how my father loved you.)

3. At the End of the Day from Les Miserables (At the end of the day you're another day older ~ And that's all you can say for the life of the poor)

4. Bushel and a Peck from Guys & Dolls (My mom used to (hopefully still does) love me a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck.)

5. I am the Captain of the Pinafore from HMS Pinafore (I can still hear my mom singing this in her powerful alto voice)

6. Hosanna from Jesus Christ Superstar (Hosanna Heysanna Sanna Sanna HoSanna Hey Sanna Ho Sanna)

7. Consider Yourself from Oliver (Consider yourself at home. ~ Consider yourself one of the family. ~ We've taken to you so strong. ~ It's clear we're going to get along.)

8. Maybe from Annie (Betcha they're good ~ Why shouldn't they be? ~ Their one mistake ~ Was giving up me!) (sniff)

9. June is Bustin’ Out All Over from Carousel (We put on Carousel at my high school. I still feel a tad warm and fuzzy about it.)

10. Something Good from The Sound of Music (For here you are, standing there, loving me ~ Whether or not you should ~ So somewhere in my youth or childhood ~ I must have done something good) (Oh Maria. Oh Captain Von Trapp. Swoon.)

11. The Surrey With the Fringe on Top from Oklahoma! (Saw this one as a young child. Nostalgia.)

12. Before the Parade Passes By from Hello Dolly! (I wanna feel my heart coming alive again ~ Before the parade passes by) (Another one we put on when I was in high school.)

13. I Could Have Danced All Night from My Fair Lady (Why all at once ~ My heart took flight. ~ I only know when he ~ Began to dance with me ~ I could have danced, danced, danced all night!)

Man, that list was done too quickly and I didn't even get to mention South Pacific or Chicago or Rent or West Side Story or Mary Poppins or Annie Get Your Gun…

And last night Abby and I danced and laughed through several of these songs and then went for a snack of fresh raspberries and milk. And I have the best life ever.

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather Plett said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, 9 out of these 13 are also on my top list, or at least on the list of musical songs I know (practically) by heart. There's definitely something similar about our family backgrounds. I betcha my sister's got a lot of these on her list as well...

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just going to steal your list.

I could write a post about each of those songs. Very evocative. I might swap "You got trouble" with "Pick a little/Good Night Ladies" or "Lida Rose" or "Wells Fargo Wagon." There are so many good ones. From Oliver, I also loved "As Long As He Needs Me." The train song is also great.

So hard to choose.

I'd probably put a tune from My Fair Lady, too. Maybe "Without You." That's a fun one.

And something from Fiddler on the Roof, either "Sabbath Prayer," "Miracles of Miracles" or "Anatevka."

I love pretty songs.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fresh raspberries and milk?!? I am so-o-o jealous. And feeling nostalgic, too. I can very vividly imagine you dancing with Abby...

4:50 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

That is a great list! I'm humming along with all of them.

And thank you for not choosing a song from Phantom. That's why I like you (and lots of other reasons too, of course!).

Have you heard the music from Sideshow? It was only on Broadway for a brief time, but it has a couple of amazing songs.

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home