Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The housewarming

I've been wanting to come on here to post about our housewarming/40th birthday party for days now. I think about it lots. I just can't for the life of me think of what to say. It just felt so very overwhelming that it's very difficult for me to put it in words. Overwhelming in a good way.

I felt so blessed. It felt like the party I'd been waiting to give for 19 years.

What should I say?

Should I talk about how much fun it was to plan?

Should I talk about the 10 different appetizers that we made?

Should I talk about the panic mode I got into when about 45 minutes before the party was to begin there were still 3 appetizers that weren't finished and a tremendously messy kitchen?

And yet, how at 7 pm they were all on the table (seriously, I felt like Iron Chef there towards the end – racing with the clock) and the kitchen was clean. (And I do mean clean, we didn't even have any dirty dishes hiding out anywhere.)

Perhaps I should post about how I started to cry when a friend gave me the plants whose flowers she used in my wedding bouquet.

Or maybe about how it felt to have 50 people who love us under our roof. In our home. OUR home. [exhale]

How thrilled I was that my friend E came even though she didn't know a single soul there (besides me, obviously).

How blessed we were with gifts.

How tickled I felt knowing that my husband was about to receive a gift that he's been wanting since before I knew him.

How amazing his birthday cake looked.

How all evening long our home was filled with the sound of people.


How happy, relaxed and blessed I felt.

How three different comments by three different people were so kind that I am left smiling over them days later.

How after it was all said and done and we were exhausted and we viewed the mess that was left for us to clean up my husband and I looked at each other and said "we should have a big party at least once a year".

It was good. Very good.


P.S. There are some superbly average photos of the event here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm am so happy for you! Really and truly. And I enjoyed looking at the pictures too. What a wonderfully joyful party.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on my way to look at those photos! What a great description. And, yes, I DO want to know which appetizers and which three were made so perfectly-timed at the end. And who made the three comments and what were they? And...
I AM SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU. WITH YOU. SO HAPPY.
Oh, and what was J-L's gift? Please do tell.

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, forget the last question. That's the best!

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home