Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Lightbulb moment but not really

There is an old testament story about Jacob and Esau. To give the condensed version: They were twins but Esau was the oldest and therefore got more inheritance. One day, Esau returned from hunting and saw Jacob cooking some stew. Jacob offered to give his brother some stew in exchange for his birthright. Esau was okay with that and sold his birthright to Jacob .

I've often wondered how desperately hungry WAS he that he was willing to give up a chunk of inheritance for some STEW?! I just don't know that I've ever been that hungry.

This morning my heater went out on my car. No fan, no heat WHATSOEVER. I'm cold on the best of days. This morning was not the best of days. I mean, it's only -17 Celsius but it's windy as well so it felt MUCH colder than that. And I realized at one point that I would give just about anything to be warm for a moment. That's right, even my birthright*, for some warmth. Heat is my stew.

*Keep in mind that's really fairly easy for me to say since (a) I'm the youngest of 4 and (b) My father's inheritance to me was an old farm cat.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! Coincidently, I had no heat on Monday morning. Luckily my problem was solved by adding coolant. However, when I arrived at work, I honestly would have preferred a hot bath to the cup of tea, it took me all morning to warm up. As you know, I am not usually cold so I really feel for you today. Were you able to get it fixed or were you just as cold on the way home?

Marja

6:22 PM  
Blogger Cakes said...

big thick wool socks. I'd trade my paltry inheritance for some of dem.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

I'd give you heat if I could, but I really don't want the cat. And I don't expect Mom will leave us much inheritance after she's finished seeing the world. :-)

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup - had to stand in the windy rain for over an hour yesterday - wasn't quite to the point of selling my birthright, but that point was definitely not far away! :-) Oddly enough, I'd sell "my soul" more easily for food than for heat - interesting, isn't it? How we all have our price?

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home