Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Olympics

We did not have a television growing up. And yet, in '84 and '88 we borrowed or rented one to watch the Olympics. My father and I. Those were the years of my teens and we butted heads a lot. And yet, we were joined in our love of Olympics. We were glued to the tv.

Mary Lou Retton. Carl Lewis. Alex Baumann. Greg Louganis. Mark Tewksbury. Mary Decker and Zola Budd.

I watch them now again. So many of the reporters are the same. And yet now I watch them with a little girl who just really wants to watch more swimming. A little girl my father never met.

How much things stay the same and how much they change.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I was still home, the closest we ever got to getting a TV was the 1976 Olympics!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

That's the one disappointment of the timing of our vacation - I've watched none of the Olympics. We try to catch up on Canada's medals standings now and then, but that's about all we know so far.

And speaking of swimming - right now my little girl is begging me to take her to the pool one last time. Gotta run.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's interesting how olympics seem to connect people to each other.
Watching olympics connects you with your dad,
connects Abby with her mom,
connects me with you (Olympics are like the Emmy's that way - watching them takes me to thoughts and memories of you)
connects us with our favourite sports and our country... I loved watching the men's triathlon and seeing Canada take a silver - was going to do a post on that one but haven't just yet.

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home