Monday, March 28, 2005

Beliefs

For the past few months I have noticed that there is just less and less that I know for sure. I know this comes with age but I also notice that not nearly everyone struggles over these issues. They just see them in clear black and white tones. I'm not envious of these people. Not at all. I have no desire to stop having questions.

Some things I don't know:

I don't know what the answer is on the Terry Schiavo case. I see Christians on TV who are protesting there by her hospital. They seem to know. I don't. I'm glad I don't have to decide for her or her family.

I don't know what the answer is on homosexual marriages. I struggle with some glib answer that shuts the door for homosexuals. If I get to have love, why can't they?

I don't know what the answer is on abortions. I think sometimes Christians relish on proclaiming The Answer and forget that the person going through the decision needs comfort and love, not judgment.

I have no idea what I as a pseudo-feminist am supposed to do with the fact that the Bible was written by men only. I ache over that often and anger over it nearly as often. Where am I to find my connection?

I also have no idea what to do with John 14:6 where it states that the only way to the Father is through Jesus. Really? The ONLY way? So all those other people of various religions that believe with much more fervour than myself, they're all lost?

I'm not writing this post to receive answers. Truthfully, at this point in my life I don't think I could accept answers. I need to question, not to know.

But, as I sat in church on Good Friday I realized that I DID need to know SOMETHING. I needed some ground, some footing. And I thought back to one of my favorite verses:

Micah 6:8
He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

And for now, I can accept that. If *I* were writing it I'd throw in the word "honestly" in that last statement too. Humbly and honestly. For now that will be My Truth.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that verse gave micah his name... that and the fact he was a prophet who railed against injustice. i remember just before he was born thinking, should we really name him after a prophet? do i want to live with a prophet? i'm glad we did.
m

5:19 PM  
Blogger BarbaraMG said...

I struggle with all of those questions too.

http://seeking-serenity.blogspot.com/

8:03 PM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Great post. I can TOTALLY relate... and so often I wonder... how did we spring from our Mother's womb?

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your honesty. In a world where nothing is what it proclaims to be I crave to live a life where honesty is the standard, not the exception. I'm so thankful that it is one of the foundations of our friendship...

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home