Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Lovely words; lovely sound

"Everything is looking good". Those words from my doctor yesterday afternoon. She doesn't say much and I'm the type that's okay with that. Some women may need constant reassurance, comforting and support from their doctor but I'm completely okay with those 4 words.

And then...

She smeared some gel on my lower abdomen and applied the doppler. Nothing at first. Some swishing but nothing more. My heart fell for that brief moment. She moved it about a bit and then there it was. Quiet at first and then clearer and quite loud. Our baby's heartbeat! Wow! I often wondered what type of emotion I would feel at that sound. And, truthfully, as I'm writing this I'm still not 100% sure of what the emotion was. All I know is that it now feels Real. Up until this point it's just been missed periods, tiredness, queasiness and a slightly thicker stomach. Now I know that there is something living inside me and that is completely breathtaking. In a good way and a scary way.

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather Plett said...

Auntie Heather says "Woohoo!"

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Auntie Sue, the sappy one, has tears in her eyes ...

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was the coolest thing I have ever heard in my life. Our baby's heart beat. I am blessed beyond words to have a wife like you,
Moodge.

11:04 AM  
Blogger BarbaraMG said...

There is no other sound as beautiful as the sound of your baby's heartbeat! The ultrasound will take your breath away too.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home