Friday, May 20, 2005

Fields of Dandelions

I am fortunate enough to drive past several fields of dandelions on my drive to and from work. And every time I do I smile. I know some of you may question my sanity but my family won't. You see, my father loved dandelions. He never understood how someone had decided to define them as a weed. He would pick handfuls of them (along with the purple thistle flower and other flowers some might define as weeds) and present the bouquets to my mother. He was a very scientific, intellectual man but he did have an eye for beauty and his bouquets could stand up against any professional bouquet ever created.

I miss him, especially in springtime. He loved spring. (Incidentally, he also marked on the calendar the first day he heard a frog croak in the summer.)

I hope I never drive by a field of dandelions without thinking of him.

5 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

See #92 of my blog today. By the way, great pictures!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

We've got a lovely crop of them in front of the house, and it makes me a little sad when they get mowed over.

I heard frogs croaking in Africa and couldn't help but think of dad.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we hear frogs croaking if we leave the window open at night and it always makes me think of being at the farm. Not hearing them there, but looking for that entry on the calendar.

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we hear frogs croaking if we leave the window open at night and it always makes me think of being at the farm. Not hearing them there, but looking for that entry on the calendar.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Cuppa said...

Hi. Heather sent me over to look at the BD pictures. Loved them and stayed to read your blog too.

I looked at some huge dandelions yesterday and wondered the same thing that your dad did. Out in the wild they are quite pretty. I will now think of this beautiful post and your dad's purprle and yellow bouquets each time I see a field of dandelions. Thanks.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home