Monday, May 16, 2005

And the truth shall set you free?

I hope so. Right now I'm sitting here doubting it very much.

A coworker (CW) and I had a run-in last week. She screamed at me until her face was red and her blood vessels were bulging out on her neck. I reacted as calmly as I could. And yet, she screamed. This went on for about 15 minutes. I was VERY close to quitting as I have never in my life been treated like that and felt it was completely unacceptable. However, eventually she calmed down and we were able to speak to each other frankly and openly. We have had a tough relationship since the day I started. I could go into months of history with this person but at the moment I'm too weary. At the end of our meeting I actually felt like we were on better ground than we ever had been. We opened up and decided we would forget the past and strive for a new relationship based on more communication and honesty. (We have to work very closely together so this is a huge positive step for us.)

The next day I sent an email to my team leader (TL) begging her not to confront this person or talk to me about it. (Everyone in the office heard the screaming and wondered what was up.) I explained to my TL that things were better now and that it was best not to rehash the situation. TL seemed okay with this.

Fast forward to today. The boss (TB) is back. My TL spoke to TB about it as she felt it was unacceptable behaviour entirely. While I agree I KNOW that there is no use in opening the can of worms again. Sigh. Unfortunately, TB felt differently and at this very moment TL and TB are in confronting my CW about the screaming.

And I feel sick. I know that my CW will react strongly and defend herself to the end. I know that she is in the midst of bringing up the items she screamed at me about. I know that she is feeling trapped in a corner (as most people would) and I'm quite sure that she now believes I "tattled" on her.

The work we went through that afternoon will be for nothing. She won't trust me again and our relationship will suck again.

But, allegedly, the truth will set me free. I did NOT sell her out, I NEVER lied to my TL about what went on and I apologized for the item she yelled at me for.

So, why do sit here feeling so very sick?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home