Thursday, May 05, 2005

May 8, 1967

It's my boy's birthday this Sunday. We have nothing unusual or exciting planned. We don't really work that way. Our life together has been both common and unbelievably comfortable since the moment it started (July 26, 2003). In fact, I often joke that we've only been on 6 dates together. We got into a groove so quickly that within the first couple of weeks we were an unstoppable team already. I know it's early but I wanted to publicly wish him a "Happy Birthday". Besides, the card I bought leaves little room for expressing myself. And hey, there's nothing wrong with you guys knowing how gosh darn lucky I am.

And so, one of the things I do best: A List!

20 things I love about my boy:

1) Not a day goes by where he doesn't talk to our "peanut".

2) That the show Extreme Makeover: Home Edition makes him cry nearly every single time.

3) His dedication to get up at 5 am every morning to head off for the gym. I'm in awe.

4) That he is a clean, neat and tidy man. I have no horror stories of underwear being strewn about. He doesn't leave the dishes for me to do. In fact, I believe that since we've been together he has cleaned the tub, vacuumed the rugs, washed the dishes, done the laundry, dusted... all more than I have.

5) That he has been appreciative of every meal I've cooked and thanks me (genuinely) every single time.

6) That on Saturday mornings when I "need" to sleep in he gets out of bed so as not to toss and turn and keep me awake.

7) Sometimes, on a Friday, he will sneak home to do up the dishes left over from our houseful of guests on Thursday.

8) I have lost count of the number of bouquets I have received at work. One of my coworkers cynically told me it would stop once we were married. He's proven her wrong more than once.

9) He has never suggested that I could do something a little more like his mother or his first wife.

10) He makes me laugh every single day. He is a lover of silly.

11) He doesn't really fit any male stereotype. I don't think he's watched a single game of sports since we've been together. He goes to Grey Cup parties out of obligation, not out of desire. He doesn't give a hoot about cars or car paraphernalia. He doesn't care about having a fancy stereo. He doesn't own any computer games or an X box. He really doesn't enjoy golfing 'nor does he sit for hours on end watching tv in his underwear.

12) We share a love of going for leisurely walks holding hands.

13) He connects with children like few men I have ever seen or met. Mothers often marvel when jr. will go and willingly sit on his lap when he/she is typically very shy.

14) He is a genuinely good person. He would bend over backwards to do something sweet and kind not only for me but for my friends and family as well. On a regular basis I look over and see him doing something nice for someone and I am overwhelmed with pride.

15) He does not spend money foolishly.

16) He adores me.

17) He is a gentleman. He opens doors for me and goes out to start the van for me in winter so that it can be "warm" when I get there. He leaves for work before I do and before he goes he sweeps the snow off my car. He says please and thank-you to me and others.

18) He is very respectful. Of his mother, of my mother, of me, of people in the service industry...

19) He is NOT on cocaine nor is he bisexual. Sorry, that deserves a story: Let's just chalk it up to insane pregnant dreams that I wish I could forget.

20) We share the touch language of love. We cuddle before bed and during the night if we both wake. I lean on him, lay my head on his lap or put my legs on his lap while we watch tv together. We hold hands while driving, while singing in church and while walking.

Awhile before I got into a relationship with my husband I watched the movie Moonlight Mile. In there was the following quote:

Jo Jo Floss: When I go to bed at night I do 4 things. I drop my robe, slide under the sheets, turn on my left side and stick out my ass. That's it. That's the signal. I just - I back it right up there because I know when I do, no matter how cold the damn thing is, no matter how difficult it might feel, no matter how desperately we want to kill each other it's gonna be met by this warm body on the other side that's gonna hold it. Two arms that... wrap around, pull me out of my head, quiet the voices, save me from myself... without ever having to ask. Every night, 31 years. Every night there's my ass and every night... he never lets me down.
[pause]

Jo Jo Floss: You find your home, and it may not be what you thought - you know; colour's off, style's wrong... but there it is anyway and to hell with you if you can't take a joke.
[pause]

Jo Jo Floss: You find your home. Ben's mine.

I longed for that and feel blessed now to be able to say that I've found my home.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, J.L. I'm glad you're part of our family.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Moodge. I am blessed to have you as my wife and the mother of my children. I love you so much.

And yes, this did make me cry...at work.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Beautiful. He's a keeper.

10:17 AM  
Blogger millennium hippies said...

does he have a brother?
kidding.
...sort of.
:)

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home