Saturday, May 20, 2006

40 Moments.

1. Taking silly pictures with our bbd’s camera; for him to discover upon developing.
2. Sifting buckwheat.
3. Eating gigantor grapes in Spain.

4.










5. Watching her hold my daughter.
6. Hiding in the cubbyhole, giggling, thinking Mom wouldn’t know where we were.
7. Meeting her at the ferry in Belgium, holding up a sign saying "Ms. Poopypants".

8. Frantically driving 2 hours together to see our mother when our dad died. Horrible moment, made softer by the company.
9. River Avenue: The ever-present heat and the creepy landlord who would watch us from his basement window.
10. St. Mary’s Road: The leaky basement, the rug in the kitchen, the bookshelves, the fireplace.
11.










12. Trying to be quiet and sneaky reading late at night hoping Dad wouldn’t hear us when he came in from chores. "Girls, don’t you think it’s time to turn out the light?"
13. "Oh no, not the bunnycuffs!"
14. "I want this with an off-white room!"

15.














16. "Bonk-a-bonk-bonk."
17. Lilacs blooming on your birthday. How lovely!
18. Driving backwards to Steinbach.
19. Cooking in the little Chevette, stopping at a rest area to cool off to discover only hot water coming out of the taps.

20. The Smokehouse Café we created for Dwight and Dad.
21. The beach in Greece at dusk. Empty. Pink with the setting sun.
22.













23. Running out after church to pick crocuses.
24. "Your nobody called today, she hung up when I asked her name. Well, I wonder, does she think she’s being clever. Cle-ver!"
25. 3 plays in NYC; 3 plays in London, England.
26. Bailing her out of prison. He, he. (J-L told me to put that one.)
27. Sitting on the floor for the Cowboy Junkies concert.
28. Butter chicken at Folk Fest.
29. Painting her home together.
30. Painting my home together.
31. Cleaning the schrout schpicka together.
32. Her surprise visit to Edmonton while I was away at college.
33. Sleeping in the Chevette, on a farmer’s field, somewhere in South Dakota.
34. Running into a train compartment, turning out the lights, closing the curtain, hoping to get the place to ourselves for the night. (Hey, it worked quite often.)
35. Writing our dad’s obituary together, in the van, tucked away on a quiet road.
36. Those moments when we’re together someplace and our eyes meet and there is an unspoken understanding.

37.









38. Standing at the end of the driveway, waiting for the bus, searching for the first pussywillows of the season.
39. Mocking our husbands together.
40. End of the season harvesting and the potato seed fights we would have with Dwight, Jerry and James.


Happy birthday, Heather! I'm so glad God blessed me with a sister like you and I feel sorry for those who don't have a relationship like ours.

8 Comments:

Blogger Heather Plett said...

Oh man! Thanks so much for this! I'm crying and laughing all at the same time. I'd forgotten some of those moments - thanks for reminding me. :-)

I too am blessed to have you for a sister.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You and your lists sure are good at bringing back memories!

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't sisters wonderful? Happy birthday to your sis!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Raehan said...

Sisters are the best!!! From one expert to another.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Beautiful post ccap! Now, I would like a little more information on #26! And #15. Is that Heather? I could swear it was Maddie!

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely, just lovely.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Heather Plett said...

Linda - in #15, I'm one of the taller ones in the back - the one with the lovely curls in my hair. :-) My mom used to put my hair in rollers for special occasions. ccap is standing in front of me.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is wonderful! 4 sisters? brothers? How many of you are there? I might borrow this idea for one of my sisters birthdays someday.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home